CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Am I Dying to Be Beautiful?

Shelves of beauty products
Today has been a day of learning for me. After my shower today, I was so excited to re-discover a lotion from Victoria's Secret that somehow surfaced during the move. I've had it for awhile, but it seemed to still be okay. (I have since checked the shelf life of lotion. It is two to three years, so I'm definitely in the clear.) Anyway, the lotion is the from "beauty rush" line and is the body whip moisture cream, the type that imitates whipped cream. Yes, you tip it upside down and squirt it out just like you were topping a sundae. I love these type of fun beauty products. As a holder of a marketing degree, when I buy a product like this, I feel like I'm rewarding the marketing team and saying, "Job well done. Keep the ideas coming." Because, let's be honest, it's probably not even that great of a lotion, and it's usually overpriced, but I'm paying for the novelty of it. I appreciate the innovation that went into it. I hope to be a part of that someday.

But I'm still not getting to my point. Just a minute, I'm almost there.

When Chris got home from work, I had my lotion on the coffee table. "Don't you like my lotion?" I asked him. "It smells so good and is so much fun!" Chris looked back and me like I was a little crazy, but smiled and said of course he liked it. He picked up the lotion to read the ingredients. As an Environmental Geologist, (whatever that is..j/k) he is really into being green and is always telling me how I'm ruining the planet. (I'm doing much better, Mother Nature. I'm trying. I'm sorry.) Chris hesitates for a moment, so I know what's coming...at least I thought I did. Chris tell me it contains propane and benzyl benzoate. "Yes, that's right, honey," he tells me. You are putting lighter fluid on your legs. I immediately jumped on the defensive and said I didn't care, I like my lotion, and I'm going to use it. But in my head I was imagining myself taking the bottle of lighter fluid from next to the barbeque and lotioning up. How insane is that? So, I'm not so sure I was use this lotion anymore. (I still think it's fun.)

So after that little lesson, I turned to check in on my blogs that I'm following. First, I checked in with Makeup Junkie. (I love makeup. It's one of my shopping addictions, but I've still been pretty successful at repressing my urge to shop lately...must find job soon.) Anyway, Makeup Junkie posted a blog about an article called, The Price of Beauty. The article was interesting, but what really interested me was about Vaseline. Now, I use Vaseline for everything, but I definitely put it on my lips all the time. After reading the article, I found out that when I put Vaseline on my lips, it's like drinking gasoline, I decided before I combust into a fireball adding gasoline to my lighter fluid soaked legs, I should re-think things. I'm not sure the validity of the claim that Vaseline on your lips, including in lip balms, is so bad, that it may even lead to breast cancer, but I'm also not sure that I want to take any chances. Beeswax is supposed to be a good alternative, so I'll stick to my Blistex Fruit Smoothies and the like.

13 comments:

Miles Of Style said...

i put vaseline on my lips the first thing after brushing my teeth in the morning...i think it is time to shift to something less inflammable i guess.
thanks for this post..

dropping by from SITS.

Melissa B. said...

I've seen these ingredients on labels, and pretty much guessed they were alcohol. But lighter fluid? Why would they want to dry us out, when it's moisturizing we're looking for? SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

No Such Thing

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Hi, dropping in from SITS. That is a little frightening, isn't it? I am allergic to perfume so I can't use any of those yummy smelling things, but I guess it's a blessing in disguise.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS! Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Melanie said...

You should tell Chris to create a moisturizer for you so that you no longer have to put lighter fluid on your legs!

Oh, and I can't believe you drew the girl in your header! Why have you not mentioned your artistic abilities before?!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I just use my regular chapstick. I like Blistex too. I don't think I could put Vaseline on my mouth.

Allie said...

Wow good to know! It's amazing what chemicals we can be convinced to put on our bodies! Good idea with the beeswax lip balm...I love it (be sure to post if you find out it's somehow toxic too!)

BLOGitse said...

We do have problems don't we? :)
Happy Friday from Cairo!

http://BLOGitse.blogspot.com

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Just loved this post... coming from SITS. Random, but are you going to Bloggy Boot Camp in Baltimore?

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

dont even get me started on creams! I have mentioned you in my blog tonight via a sunshine award. All the best my dear. Coryanne

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy, isn't it? I am also a makeup junkie (and love her blog too). I guess I'd better go read some labels! (Stopping by from Housewife Bliss' blog) :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good weekend!

Lisa said...

Sometimes living in ignorance is just pure bliss. Dammit intelligent boyfriend and educational website, you destroyed her luxury!

I make my own body scrubs with sugar and shower gels. :)